Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Review: Facial Recognition by Airlines via Government Data

I'm sparked with many thoughts from reading this article. I would have been shocked like, the passenger in the article, if asked for my face to confirm my seat to on-board the flight. From a technological perspective, does it resolve the seating conflicts that sometimes still occur due to the facial recognition technology (i.e. two faces can't have the same seat)? From an ethical perspective, what other data is known about me with the airline and how else is the airline using it?

As I think more about it, what laws are in place to protect my rights as an American citizen upon my re-entry into the country (via Custom and Borders Protection).

Furthermore, is the government making money using my personal data? What are the security protocols for passing my private, personal data across government organizations? Will people start lying about their identity because of this data exposure without individual's consent?

The author makes some powerful points here that should be heavily considered. We need to apply the same questions to all organizations storing our personal data, and not just Facebook. Especially, the government. And, Congress needs to upgrade their process in getting things done for the people. The people can no longer tolerate Congress's slowness and ineffective methods used to protect the people of America.

Read Article

https://www.zdnet.com/article/facial-recognition-creeps-up-on-a-jetblue-passenger-and-she-hates-it/



Lastly, I'm thankful for JetBlue being responsive and transparent in answering MacKenzie's questions. This is the kind of customer service and trust that people need from private companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment